Growing Space Educator
We are looking for someone with experience gardening or farming, and supporting students to engage in hands-on project based experiential learning to work 10-20 hours/week assisting our Program Director delivering lessons in growing and cooking at Food Moxie’s growing & educational spaces at Stenton Family Manor and Martin Luther King High School.
scope of work
- Assist in delivering hands-on experiential learning activities across our growing and learning spaces at Stenton Family Manor and Martin Luther King High School. Lessons take place outdoors when weather permits.
- Activities are centered around growing and cooking using art, music, movement, and/or other mediums or subject areas to connect learners of all ages and stages to outdoor growing spaces, to farming and/or gardening, and/or to the culinary arts.
- Each educational event is between 60 to 90 minutes in length with 60 minutes of prep/set up/breakdown time for each 60 minutes of education delivered
- Focus on sensory and experiential education
- Education is emergent, learner-centric and trauma sensitive
- Emphasis on safety is critical- especially knife/stove/etc
- Instructions provided at the beginning of activity with regular reminders throughout
- Emphasis on what’s growing in our growing spaces, and fresh food highlighting seasonal fruits, veggies and herbs
- Connect cultural, community, and food histories as relevant
- Expect varying levels of confidence/skill in growing and cooking
- Expect learners at all ages and stages and abilities from diverse backgrounds
- At least one year of relevant experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with communities of color, with a nuanced understanding of systemic oppressions
- Ability to work with people at all ages and stages from diverse backgrounds, including children/youth, those experiencing homelessness, and those with differing intellectual and/or physical abilities
- Team oriented and has high level of comfort asking for assistance when needed; able to take direction and work effectively independently and solve problems collaboratively
- Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable
- Ability to lift 50 pounds; to walk, stand, kneel, or bend for long periods of time
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:30-5:30pm, plus a weekly staff meeting (time TBD), and optional additional opportunity on Wednesday morning
- April – Mid June, with the possibility of exploring extension through the summer onwards and/or a step up into a permanent, salaried lead educator position
- Must be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you have an exception in accordance with applicable laws and regulations
- Note: Before beginning work, all potential Food Moxie employees must undergo a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, a Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check, a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Background Check. You will also be required to complete the free online course mandated by Pennsylvania on Recognizing & Reporting Child Abuse.
Apply For This Position:
FOOD MOXIE values and promotes a culture of inclusion, seeking staff from diverse backgrounds.
FOOD MOXIE is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
To apply, send resume and a brief cover letter of approximately 300 words to email@example.com using the subject line: Growing Space Educator
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Food Moxie is the non-profit arm of Weavers Way Co-op, a member-owned, cooperative grocery store. Food Moxie is administratively and financially independent of the co-op, and governed by a separate Board of Directors.