• 12 ounces medium-sized pasta shells, cooked according to package directions
• 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 of 1 stick)
• 2 cups Unsweetened milk (or the milk of your choice)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
• 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
• 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set pasta.
2 In a large skillet, add the butter and melt over medium heat to melt.
3 Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly
4 Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, optional nutmeg, and stir
5 Add the pumpkin puree and stir.
6 Add the cheddar, Parmesan, and stir until melted and smooth.
7 Add the pasta and stir well. Serve immediately.
Depending on how you like it, if macaroni and cheese is too thick, add a splash of milk or water to thin out to taste.